Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Race Report - Short Track - 1-25-15 "First Race of the New Year"

Going into this race, I'm really not sure if I was more excited or nervous.  It has been a few months since the summer series wrapped up, and with a 9 month old at home my ride time has been drastically cut down.  Yet as soon as registration opened I jumped on booking the entire series.

Sunday morning the nerves calmed and I was ready.  This was my first time racing at the Short Track and all I can say is WOW.  The number of people in attendance, both racers and hecklers was pretty impressive.  I quickly made friends with some of the fellow racers and got ready.

Going into the first lap I knew I wanted to jump to the front right off the start.  I had a pretty good jump and started into the trail either in 4th or 5th place.  Into the first couple berms I realized I was a good bit faster than those directly ahead of me.  As we were all yelling in frustration for a pass, he wasn't having it.  Oh well no worries I'll pass him on the uphill out.  So I lightly pedal and coast around the course until we get to my spot to make my move.

The glorious gravel road appeared and that's when I realized where these races are lost.  The slow rider ahead of me bolted off like he just stole an S-Works Camber.   I could not catch him on the up hill.  At this time I'm sitting in what I think is 4th or 5th place and I know 1 and 2 are out of my reach.  So I buckle down only to continue the same dance lap after lap.  I go much slower through the course than I ever should, only to get schooled on the uphill lap after lap.

I hear them yelling one more lap, and I know it's game on.  Yet the uphill wins again and I can't catch the seemingly slower rider.  I cross the finish line, take a deep breath and spin out for a minute.  A few minutes later I check the boards and see I was in 5th which wasn't too bad for my first time at Short Track.

Fast forward to the current week, and I've been placing the treadmill on an incline level of 15 (maxed out) doing 3 and a half minute sprints trying to prep.  Overall it was a great experience and I cannot wait to finish off the series and hopefully conquer my demon, which is the hill.


No comments:

Post a Comment