Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Race Report- Winston-Salem

We (myself and the family) made the drive to Winston over the weekend to race the All Hallows Eve race presented by Mock Orange Bikes. It was pretty cold when we arrived but warmed up nicely by the start of the 10 O'Clock race. I did my usual warm up, and got the to start early and positioned myself in the middle on the left side. The whistle blew and we took off, we all sprinted up a paved road and then some switch backs where I was either in the weeds or the tape on every turn. Then it really bottled up and had to dab a foot. Once again the best thing about racing CX is even if you are in the back there are still people to race. This race was no different, myself a 2 others guys were changing places on the first 2 laps. I'd get a lead then they would catch me on the 1 long climb.

The end of the second lap I noticed I was pulling a guy around the course, and was taking some very bad lines through the turns. As we approached the end of the lap he was behind me as we started down a short downhill with a hard right hand turn with a climb after the turn. I set myself for the turn, hit the apex and turned on the jets. I stood up and powered my way up the hill. I kept on the power, and was all by myself for the entire last lap. Approaching the finish line some of the leaders were passing me. The last turn into the finish and someone behind me yells "Left". Thinking it was another leader and not wanting to get in the way of the leaders I moved over. As he passed me at the finish Line I realized it was the guy I had been racing the entire race. I was disappointed that he passed me at the finish- That won't happen again!

The last lap approaching the finish- you can see the guy that passed me at the finish in the background.

I loved the course- some sections were a little rough but the fast, flat and smooth sections made up for it. My favorite part was a section around the soccer fields- you entered the field on a downhill with 2 18" jumps, and the field was flat, hard, and short grass. I could fly on this surface, and the corners held up well. I also loved all of the Off-Camber turns. As we headed back to Charlotte I couldn't wait until the next race in Boone. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment